Saturday, September 5, 2009

The places we go to die are never too far from home...

It's 7 AM California time. I'm back home after 2 months of zig zagging across the world. Last night we got in to LAX exactly on time. 13 hours of flying and watching lackluster movies (although, I'm a sucker for shitty movies) the day was finally over in one of the worst cities in America. I hate LA...but back to a "Recap".

Rome...I can't say anything that can some up my amazing experience in that beautiful city. Every day there was something to do, there was never a boring experience while we were in that place. We did all the touristy shit, Vatican, Coliseum, Sistine, Pizza, Pasta, etc. etc. From time to time Josh would take me places on the back of his scooter...I've never ridden on the back of one...being on the back of one in Rome was probably the best thing you can do if you wanted a natural high of almost dying at every street light, complete chaos, there are no dividing lines for cars; any space a car can fit into it was squeezed into.



One of the most surreal experiences I had while there was when I rode Joshes bike into town early in the morning. No cars, no tourists, no taxis, no bullshit. I rode the bike as fast as I could down the main road to get to the down town area, partially because it had been so long since I had done physical activity and because riding a bike as fast as you could is always fun. I rode down the cobble stone roads that took you into tiny little plazas and streets unscathed by tourists...and if they had been there, they weren't there because it was 2 am. I found my way to the Coliseum, that's where I sat down and couldn't believe I was in front of that building. It was insane to think that since elementary school we were taught about Rome and its history, and the Coliseum being one of the main focuses of our lessons, everything from Gladiators to Christians being fed to lions...I was right there in front of that very building where all that happened. How many people from my school have gone and done what I was doing? How many people got to ride a bike to the Roman Coliseum and got to just sit there and take it all in? Probably none. I sat there for a good hour thinking about it, watching couples sit together on the steps of this massive building or sitting on the lawn that was next to it. If there was a time in my life where I thought I was lucky, this was then. I got to travel Europe for two months, doing what I loved. Read: I got to spend time in Rome all because of this stupid music of mine. No one in my family has ever and will never do that. I was luck to be there, and a couple days later I'm still thinking the same thing. Cloud 9.







And now I'm home. Back to the monotonous every day life. I can't say I'm not happy to be home. Let's say if I had a band that toured 9 months out of the year, I would not be bummed.

1 comment:

oceaned said...

that must be milan on the last photo, but it greatly reminds me of venice, how it was depicted in hemingway's 'across the river and into the trees' - loners in the crowd.
i really like this one. and italy is just like heaven. like all the other places you visit, but never stay